POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Getting light to reflect : Re: Getting light to reflect Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:35:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting light to reflect
From: Tim Cook
Date: 27 Feb 2011 04:50:03
Message: <4d6a1e4b@news.povray.org>
On 2011-02-27 03:03, Warp wrote:
>    Specular reflection shouldn't be confused with specular highlighting,
> which is something else completely.

Ahhh ok, this is where most of my confusion on the matter was.

>    I think you are confusing the brightest part of diffuse reflection with
> the brightest part of a specular highlight. They are not at the same place.
> The former is at the point where the surface is directly facing the light
> source (and it does not depend on the position of the camera), while the
> latter is where the angle between the normal vector of the surface and
> the light source is the same as the angle between the normal vector and
> the camera (which means that the location of the highlight depends on the
> location of the camera, and thus moves if the camera is moved).

...and this, which I'm finding hard to visualise, somehow.  Rather, I
/can/, but understanding of what's happening in regards to
light/object/camera relative loci is escaping me.  An animation would do
wonders (and not just for me, perhaps?)...

--
Tim Cook