POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Getting light to reflect : Re: Getting light to reflect Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:54:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting light to reflect
From: Tim Cook
Date: 27 Feb 2011 03:06:23
Message: <4d6a05ff$1@news.povray.org>
On 2011-02-26 12:18, Warp wrote:
>    Radiosity only does diffuse reflection, not specular (ie. mirror)
> reflection, which is what photon mapping does. I got the impression
> that the original poster wanted the light to reflect from a reflective
> (mirror-like) object.

I find myself confused as to the exact distinction between diffuse and
specular reflectivity.   All objects are mirror-like and specular;
diffuse materials are just this reflection spread out according to the
unevenness of the surface texture.  If you tune radiosity settings to a
count of one and a very low error bound you can see that this is what
radiosity is doing.   The bright-spot shine of a specular highlight is
simply the result of a light source being so much brighter than
everything it's illuminating.  Yes?

--
Tim Cook