POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Getting light to reflect : Re: Getting light to reflect Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting light to reflect
From: Tim Cook
Date: 25 Feb 2011 21:37:28
Message: <4d686768$1@news.povray.org>
On 2011-02-21 09:13, Warp wrote:
> alanr<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>> Yet all I get from POVs render is a chrome cube sitting on a chequered floor
>> casting the expected shadow, but no light is reflecting off the sides of the
>> cube lit by the spotlight.  The cube reflects the image of the surrounding plane
>> just as you would expect a chrome cube to.
>
>    Light reflecting from objects to other objects is a hard problem.
> POV-Ray implements the photon mapping algorithm for reflecting (and
> refracting) surfaces, which is probably what you are looking for.
> However, I'm not sure Moray supports this.

Are you wanting a visualisation of the beam of light in the space
between the cube and the floor, or just the effect on the surface?  If
the latter, radiosity is sufficient.  If the former, you need to add a
scattering media surrounding the scene.  At this point, the light needs
its photons checkbox ticked, the cube needs to be the target, and the
floor needs collect set to 'on'.  Past that is a lot of fiddly
trial-and-error.