POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 09:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: Warp
Date: 10 Oct 2009 05:57:27
Message: <4ad05a87@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         Yes, some people may admire it, and I have no problem with it, but no
> one explained to me why *I* should admire it.

  Because appreciation of people's skills can give you a fuller entertainment
experience. If you deliberately dismiss skill as an unimportant side feature,
you are depriving yourself of a source of marvel and enjoyment.

  You may be completely ok with that, but you should understand why some
other people appreciate a show of skill and effort.

>         It's kind of like telling someone who likes rock music that they should
> admire classical music.

  No, it's not. It's kind of like telling someone who likes rock music if
he has seen the actual performance of the musicians, in other words, how
they actually *make* the music. Some people appreciate it if making the
music requires extraordinary skills.

> At the end, what you're talking about is art,
> and it's merely a matter of taste.

  It's about enjoying art at its fullest.

> >    For example, if a highly skilled guitarist plays a superb piece of music
> > which is extremely hard to play, I can admire both the end result, ie. the
> > music that I can hear, *and* the skills that were necessary to produce that
> > music.

>         But if he plays an incredibly difficult piece that doesn't sound at all
> good (to me), I'm not going to admire it - because I'm not really into
> how the music is made.

  Who was talking about an unenjoyable piece of music?

> >    Lack of skill doesn't make the music itself worse, but if high amount of
> > skills were necessary to create the music, that in itself is admirable as
> > well.

>         Sure. If you admire that stuff.

  I think you are depriving yourself of a source of enjoyment by deliberately
finding the skills required to create the art "boring" and "uninteresting".

--
                                                          - Warp