POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... : Re: Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 07:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very afraid...
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Sep 2009 06:05:12
Message: <4abc95d8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> also you can extrude from faces and edges plus numerous more functions I
> haven't used.

Care to define what "extrude" means?

> The tools are designed *for* people to edit triangle
> meshes as their job, once you've learned how it works you can do things
> quickly.

I've seen people who can take three sheets of paper, freehand scribble a
few lines on each page, drop one page on top of another and create an
instantly recognisable moving picture of Micky Mouse in life-like fluid
motion. That doesn't mean it's "easy".

>> For all the wizzy features of those editors of old, even creating an
>> object as trivial as a banana was impossibly difficult.
>
> It just took me about 1 minute to make a simple banana shape in Blender.
> Blender even gives you a box to start with, so I just rotated the top
> face a bit, scaled it down and extruded, then repeated 5 or 6 times.

I won't pretend I understand what you just said.

(FWIW, I *always* get Wing3D and Blender confused. But isn't Blender the
one that's supposedly impossible to learn due to the weird UI?)

Many, many years ago, AmigaFormat released a full version of Imagine 2.0
on a coverdisk. They ran a series of tutorials on using it. It had a
tool - I forget what it was called - where you start with a sphere, and
by moving the points in each of the 3 axis views, you could change the
profile and cross-section of the mesh. AF did a morphing tutorial where
you were supposed to use this tool to build an organe (so, an oragne
sphere then), a pear, an apple and a banana, and then morph from one to
the other.

(Unfortunately, the morph operation requires both start and finish
object to move the same number of polygons, and just linearly
interpolates them. BAD THING happen if the polygons are in a different
order in each model! But anyway...)

I wasted literally *days* trying to make these objects. They're all
absurdly simple, but I couldn't get them to look anywhere near right. It
was just far too hard.

As far as I could tell, Wings [I think that's the one I tried] doesn't
even offer this much help...