POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 07:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Shay
Date: 2 Sep 2009 09:26:38
Message: <4a9e728e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>> That solution is imperfect, however, because the public will allow
>> (encourage) our government to ignore its founding documents.
>
> Or, as seen in California, vote for amendments anyway. You really can't
> get around it.

I think it's a swinging pendulum. At the moment, the prevailing mindset
is "tear down our entire system of government if you have to in order to
pass this (then this, then this, then this, then this) piece of
legislation" or "government excess, growth, and debt only matter if the
controlling party have the wrong letter beside their names."

This is why discussion of what the majority might do with some newly
granted authority is of less importance than discussion of whether the
authority should be granted at all. No matter how well intentioned a
piece of legislation, due to the lawlessness you have mentioned, there
is no control over what the majority, having been granted additional
dominion over the minority, will do with that dominion. Isn't this the
argument against the Patriot Act? The Cybersecurity Act?

Given the popularity ratings of both major parties, I think the
pendulum's arc towards lawlessness may be slowing. Sorry, guys.

  -Shay