POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Steampunk? : Re: Steampunk? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 12:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steampunk?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Sep 2009 23:16:52
Message: <4a9de3a4$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I have 2 big problems with the new topic: Time (Steampunked)
>
> Firstly, and perhaps undermining any hope of a rational argument, I do not
> like steam punk.

I like your honesty though.

As I see it this is a fundamental problem with it as an
> IRTC topic: you are choosing the aesthetic I must use.

A succinct point.

But I think Warp's counter makes sense.  The topic can be merely the
grain of sand to the oyster.  We are all clever enough here by half,
let's face it, we can 'go meta' on a topic without loosing a beat.

> This use of a specific style has not occured with any previous topic. The
> closest example I can find is "minimalism" which would at first glance
> appear to dictate the aesthetic of the image, but as the winning entry
> showed there was no reason to take that as dictating the style of scene.

Exactly. Interpretations of a topic morph in many directions..

As for precedent, personally I don't fear a slippery slope in this regard.

I think you protest is good to consider but I feel you are over-reacting.

I view such a topic as a chance to visit, (or comment on,) a style
I wouldn't ordinarily come anywhere near.

-Jim