POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Chambers
Date: 30 Aug 2009 16:47:56
Message: <4a9ae57c$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> But that's still not precisely what we're arguing about. The precise
> thing we're arguing about is how to decide /when/ the rights of he many
> should outweigh the rights of the few. You believe the majority should
> decide when the majority's rights should impede upon the minority's.
> That's where I can't see your logic. I believe with the system you
> propose, two people will too often (always?) elect to eat the third.

Why can't we just say that, in some instances, the rights of the many
outweigh the rights of the few, and in others the rights of the
individual are paramount?

I'm not arguing for an ideal here, I'm looking at what should be done in
this specific instance.

I know moral ambiguity isn't very popular in the media (it doesn't sell
T-Shirts, for one thing) but it's rather practical and, more often than
not, a situational ethic seems to provide the best solution.

...Chambers