POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Jim Charter
Date: 30 Aug 2009 11:55:25
Message: <4a9aa0ed$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> And how did we get into that debt?  Partly by skyrocketing health care
> costs.  The bloody insurance companies aren't going to fix that.  The
> whole friggin' system is set up to keep us SICK so the shareholders in
> hospitals and insurance companies can MAKE MORE MONEY.  That's messed up.

This is one place in this debate where I grow a little confused.  I
understand the idea of containing some waste, redundant tests, redundant
bureaucracies, possibly, with health insurance centralized under
government.  But can you really blame the Health Insurance Industry for
everything?  Afterall, the criticism they usually take is for denying
benefits so that they pay out less money and make more profit for
themselves.  The allegation I hear is that this tendency (to cut
benefits) is then reinforced, even amplified, by Wall Street investors
who examine payout ratios before making their investments.  I would be
interested in what you believe is the exact mechanism whereby the Health
Insurance Industry contributes to skyrocketing health care costs.

Just to be clear, I generally find myself in favor of government
involvement in health care, in particular in the health insurance side.
  In particular I think that health insurance needs to be divorced from
employer compensation.  So this is not a persoanl challenge to you, if
you can give me an answer that makes sense, I will use it mayself in
conversation.  But currently I cannot see how the insurance industry
takes the blame coming and going.

-Jim