POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Chambers
Date: 29 Aug 2009 01:36:16
Message: <4a98be50$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> So, you believe that Government is inherently evil and that, given the
>> opportunity, those in power will take every chance they get to screw
>> you in every conceivable fashion just to piss you off?
>
> People are inherently "evil."

I disagree.

> The majority believe that any exercise of
> power which results in the majority's benefiting is good.

If all men are equal, then I don't see how you can escape that conclusion.

It's a numbers game.  Where you have two groups of people with identical
needs per capita, and one group is larger than the other, the needs of
the larger group have precedence over the needs of the smaller group.

> Cynicism? Look at how popular smoking bans in restaurants are. If I own
>   a house, I can allow my guests to smoke in it, but if I sell hot dogs
> at my house, I cannot, because YOU might want a hot dog. That's all the
> justification it takes to impinge upon my property rights. A hot dog.

A hot dog isn't impinging on your rights.  Your desire to offer services
to the public carries with it certain responsibilities, including
offering access to everyone.

That same hot dog, to use your imagery, would require you to install a
wheel-chair ramp to your door, and a braille sign out front.  I don't
see you complaining about those requirements, though.

>> If you honestly believe Government is so evil, you should put your
>> money where your mouth is and live on a boat in international waters.
>
> Or, support the idea upon which this country was founded: limited
> government.

To clarify: limited government set up for the benefit of the ordinary
citizens.  You're arguing against that last part.

...Chambers