POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Chambers
Date: 29 Aug 2009 01:29:06
Message: <4a98bca2$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>
>> So if you sit in a concrete room, never go anywhere or do anything
>> (and forget listening to music, reading books, or buying clothes
>> even), then you STILL can't afford even a basic health plan.
>
> The poor effectively do not pay income taxes due to the earned income
> tax credit. And $400 for rent? Get a room mate or 10. I did.

I have 5, and I'm paying $360 for my room.  Get in the 21st century.

>> Oh, and that's without factoring in retirement accounts.  Because, you
>> know, people have to save for retirement rather than expect the
>> government to take care of them.
>
> Horrid, isn't it?

Yes, actually.  From a practical standpoint, people either need to save
for their own retirement, or public funds must be dedicated to their
support, or they must die in poverty and anguish.

We've already seen that public funds don't work (the idea relies upon an
expanding workforce, after all, and today's demographics have tossed
that notion out the window).

If people are unable to save (and many of them cannot afford to), then
they will die in squalor or work until the day they die.

> Yes it is, one in which a person is allowed to shape his life. And
> somehow, most of us come out very nicely. I'm a manual laborer for
> Christ's sake, and am still able to afford many luxuries.

In what market?  Many manual jobs actually pay quite well.

> Get a second job. If we'd stop taxing minorities (like business owners)
> into the ground, there would be more opportunity.

Have you looked at the market in the last two years?  People are
thankful for a single job at the moment.

>> As it is, though, our current system causes a great deal of
>> unnecessary expense.  It works like this:
>
> So why don't we buy the poor safe automobiles, healthful food,
> anti-bacterial soap, surgical masks, latex gloves ... ?

If doing so cost less than the alternative, then it would make fiscal sense.

>> Insurance companies (and the government) are forced to pay for the
>> treatments.
>
> Get out of each other's pockets. Problem solved.

So, ERs should turn people away without proof of an estate large enough
to pay the bill?

...Chambers