POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Shay
Date: 29 Aug 2009 01:03:15
Message: <4a98b693$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> So if you sit in a concrete room, never go anywhere or do anything (and
> forget listening to music, reading books, or buying clothes even), then
> you STILL can't afford even a basic health plan.

The poor effectively do not pay income taxes due to the earned income
tax credit. And $400 for rent? Get a room mate or 10. I did.

> Oh, and that's without factoring in retirement accounts.  Because, you
> know, people have to save for retirement rather than expect the
> government to take care of them.

Horrid, isn't it?

> Yeah, great system we have here.

Yes it is, one in which a person is allowed to shape his life. And
somehow, most of us come out very nicely. I'm a manual laborer for
Christ's sake, and am still able to afford many luxuries.

> Oh, and did I mention that many employers these days, aside from
> forbidding overtime, also purposefully limit the hours their employees
> work so that scheduling problems are easier to solve if they fire
> somebody?  Many minimum wage jobs are only 20 hours a week, so you can
> turn off the electricity and forget about eating.

Get a second job. If we'd stop taxing minorities (like business owners)
into the ground, there would be more opportunity.

> As it is, though, our current system causes a great deal of unnecessary
> expense.  It works like this:

So why don't we buy the poor safe automobiles, healthful food,
anti-bacterial soap, surgical masks, latex gloves ... ?

> Insurance companies (and the government) are forced to pay for the
> treatments.

Get out of each other's pockets. Problem solved.

  -Shay