POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare : Re: Healthcare Server Time
29 Sep 2024 09:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Aug 2009 20:21:10
Message: <4a9722f6@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:49:32 -0500, Shay wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:22:38 -0500, Shay wrote:
>>
>>> Amendment or no, it's wrong.
>>
>> Hmm, so much for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".
>> Scratch off "life", scratch of "liberty" (thanks to the PATRIOT act).
>> How shall we squash the pursuit of happiness?
>>
>> How about "all men are created equal"?  Except for something as
>> important as health care.  If they can't pay for it, screw 'em.  Nice
>> compassion there.
>
> You mean all Americans, don't you?

The document in question says "all men".

> Or would you actually like to extend
> health care benefits outside our borders? If they were born 6" on the
> wrong side of this imaginary line, screm 'em. Nice compassion there.

Don't conflate what I'm saying here.

> The Constitution says that we are born with the right to pursue
> happiness, not the that government must pave the road to it.

Yes.  But health != happiness.

>> The rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are defined
>> in the Declaration of Independence as being among the "inalienable
>> rights".
>
> So, these rights are inalienable to the old and demented? Oh wait, I
> forgot, the old and demented will not be excluded because we're
> "building a bigger boat."

Right.  That old and perhaps demented person might be your local WallMart
greeter.  He gets sick, he passes it on to the checker who checks out
your monster size box of Coco Puffs.  Like it or not, we're all in this
together here.

> The entity wanting to take over health care is 12 Trillion in debt, but
> we'll just print more money, right?

And how did we get into that debt?  Partly by skyrocketing health care
costs.  The bloody insurance companies aren't going to fix that.  The
whole friggin' system is set up to keep us SICK so the shareholders in
hospitals and insurance companies can MAKE MORE MONEY.  That's messed up.

> Even if I gave you that publicizing health care would make it better, we
> still would only have achieved this by stealing from the next
> generation. What about the next generation's right to "life."

If costs come down, that's a good thing, right?

When you open your coffee shop and expand to the point you need
employees, are you going to give them health care?  If so, good for you.
If not, hope they don't get sick and pass it on to you.  You gonna check
medical insurance cards at the door and ask for a medical history to
ensure nobody who's ill doesn't come in the door and pass on some
communicable disease to you or your staff?

Are you the "bubble boy"?

Jim