POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Blender raytracing speedup : Re: Blender raytracing speedup Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:39:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender raytracing speedup
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 11:09:40
Message: <4a96a1b4$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> Would such a boost be possible in Pov or is everything already as fast as it can
> possibly be?

Note that...

- most of the scenes that mention a speedup are pathological cases

- it appears to me that when they say "173% faster", 100% would equal no
speedup (though I may be mistaken; but it is remarkable that all these
values are >100%), making some of the numbers a bit less impressive than
they appear at first.

(Interestingly, they only mention the speedup, but not the absolute
render time...?!)

As for POV-Ray, I guess there's still room for improvement here and
there, but it'll be hard to find anything that could be sped up by 3943%.

Well, going for better handling of CSG differences (the pathological
case with lots of tiny holes in a single big object) could be a case.

Subsurface scattering still provides a lot of room for speedup, too, but
I guess that doesn't count, as it's still under development anyway.