POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 09:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2009 09:06:18
Message: <4a670eca$1@news.povray.org>
>>> You fixed it yourself?
>>
>> I've long since given up hope of ever fixing this.
>
> OOC what have you already tried to do to fix this?  Contrary to what you
> might believe, it's not normal for Word to crash, and when it does crash
> there is usually a logical explanation (like a corrupt file or template,
> or buggy printer driver) which can often be fixed.

Word 2.0 used to crash on me back when I was at school. At college, it
was still crashing. At uni we had Word 95, and it still crashed. And at
work we've gone through a few different versions of Word, all of which
crash from time to time. (Although I must admit, it seems to be becoming
less frequent in the last few years.)

We did have an old Toshiba printer which used to crash even Excel and
Notepad. We got rid of it. Several of our customers give us Word
templates which they demand we use; certain of these seem to cause Word
to behave strangely or just crash.

However, every now and then, Word will just crash, all by itself,
without any observable cause. It's just how Word is. Multiple versions
of the product, on multiple PCs, with various combinations of hotfixes
installed. The Word MSVP website has entire sections dedicated to how to
stop Word crashing, and how to recover corrupted documents. This section
exists _for a reason_. :-(

But then again, Windows itself sometimes crashes. (Although that's quite
a lot rarer. Windows XP tends to be quite stable now, which is
interesting considering how crash-happy it was when it first came
out...) Usually you never do find out why it crashed.