POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processing power is not always what sells, it seems : Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems Server Time
29 Sep 2024 15:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processing power is not always what sells, it seems
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2009 11:25:01
Message: <4a5b51cd$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> but when something astronomically expensive
> breaks... it makes me very frustrated, to say the least.

As far as the end-user is concerned, Windows is free, since it comes with

the computer. You have to be actually interested in computers before you
can
figure out what Windows costs.  I don't think "astronomical" is quite the

right term, myself.

# Windows 7 Ultimate (Full): £229.99

No upgrade, does everything the non-server versions do. Expensive? More t
han
most video games, yes.

Half price if you're upgrading. £150 for the "home" version.

That's the retail price, which means nobody charges more and pretty much

everyone charges less and OEMs of course get a bulk discount, some of whi
ch
they pass on to you.

Contrast with Illustrator for $600, Photoshop for $1000, Maya 3D for $500
0.

Ask your boss how much the software to run your lab equipment cost.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."