POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft : Re: Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copying isn't theft
From: Darren New
Date: 15 May 2009 23:47:20
Message: <4a0e3748$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> On 5/15/2009 9:13 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> license gives you permission to make copies, not copyright.
>
> Speaking of licenses, my favorite definition of a license is "a promise
> not to sue." :)

Surprisingly, laws work a lot better when you actually make them more like
math. When you say "this law cancels that law", it works better than when
you say "this law allows X" or "that law prohibits Y."  In part, because if
you have "allows" then you have an implicit denial (the exception proves the
rule). And if you have "prohibits" then it doesn't really prohibit - it just
allows you to recover some sort of damages.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)