POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft : Re: Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copying isn't theft
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 May 2009 15:39:32
Message: <4a0dc4f4$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 May 2009 13:36:31 -0600, somebody wrote:

> OK, since couple people here have the same difficulty, let me type it
> slower this time so it can be understood:
>
> You own a car.
>
> I take it away without your permission.
>
> Is it theft?
>
> Let's follow your reasoning above:
>
> You say no. Because, you claim, the fact that you can come after me (or
> that the police will return the car to you if I am apprehended) means
> you still own the car. And since you still own the car, it's not been
> stolen, there's no theft.
>
> Do you seriously not see the fallacy?

The removal of the car constitutes theft because the physical object is
no longer there and the owner can no longer exercise their rights as the
owner.

Copying *content* does not constitute theft because there is no physical
object that has been removed.  The copyright holder CAN continue to
exercise their rights as the copyright holder.

Jim