POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Still random : Re: Still random Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Still random
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 8 May 2009 15:29:26
Message: <4a048816@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> I think the key point is that most things have a force that acts in
>> the opposite direction of the movement,
>
> I've always found this to be quite fascinating. Why should that be?

It seems like conservation of energy and the second law of
thermodynamics would essentially require this (barring situations where
there's some external source of energy).

If you had an effect that reinforced itself without using some external
source of energy then any measurable consequence of this effect would
have to increase as a system approached a high-entropy state.  Since
there's generally not much interesting to measure in a maximal entropy
state it shouldn't be a surprise that there's dampening forces everywhere.