POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 07:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: andrel
Date: 12 Oct 2009 17:00:37
Message: <4AD398F4.5070908@hotmail.com>
On 12-10-2009 22:10, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> I rather suspect it's more the other way around, really.
>>
>> is it?
>
> Yes. If you can't even buy a tank full of gas without being tracked by
> your bank, chances are you're not going to do a good job of
> disappearing. You yourself said you don't know many people who get paid
> in cash, right?

right, possibly none.

We also have a rather well functioning person administration in the city
counsel (or whatever you call that). You can not move into a house
without notifying the city and telling where you came from (Yes in many
cases you need a permit to live in a particular city. I can not just go
into a house in a city that I don't work in or have some other
connection with, but don't ask me details). I think you also need to
tell the city you leave where you are going to, if you don't you still
have to pay city taxes. Sounds like big brother but works well. (Too
well if you are a jewish citizen in the German occupied Netherlands in
1940-1945)

>>> Not particularly.  We just do checks differently than you do. :-)
>>>
>> and credit cards and some other things as well.
>
> What's different about the credit cards?

Not entirely sure because I don't know the US system that well.

Needing a certain income to get one and sometimes not being allowed to
go below zero on the account that is coupled to it might be one
difference. Perhaps even the fact that it is coupled to a specific bank
account and issued by that bank. We have a maximum amount we can charge
the card for per month, irrespective of the balance on your account
(though the amount is a function of income, I think roughly one month of
salary on that account in most cases). Variation do exist.
I have been in trouble once in NZ when I nearly could not pay the rent
of the apartment we rented for a couple of weeks when I was working
there. The amount exceeded what I was allowed to draw on that card for
that month. I had more than enough on my account but could not reach it.
(for some reasons it worked when I split the amount in small steps
trying to figure out where the limit was exactly). I should have
informed my bank that I needed a temporary increase in my limit. I did
not think about that.