POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? : Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 07:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
From: andrel
Date: 12 Oct 2009 16:08:25
Message: <4AD38CB9.2030008@hotmail.com>
On 12-10-2009 21:53, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> She had also that bewildering experience of going into a bank with
>> some Dutch money and find out that this bank could not change that
>> into dollars.
>
> Well, we're not Europe. :-) Foreign countries aren't nearly as close to
> the USA as they are close together in Europe.

That is what we found out. You can imagine it comes as a shock if you
are not prepared for it. BTW the USA is closer to a foreign country
than, say, Malta or Iceland.

>> Is there a reason why you would want that freedom?
>
> Sure. We don't trust our government.

I know, weird concept if you ask me. ;)

>> Not familiar with SOL, but I can guess. Well, yes, but as everybody
>> has a bank account, that problem seldom occurs.
>
> Well, you mean, except perhaps the tourists, or children, or whatever.

Being a tourist is a problem, but that is why that is fun in the first
place. Children do have bank accounts. Not sure about the whatevers, you
mean dogs, cats, cars, masonry...? They don't.

>>> With the check, you have proof that you paid, for example. Otherwise,
>>> you still need to get a receipt, and you still can't mail the thing.
>>
>> The log of your bank account is proof here.
>
> Generally it doesn't come to that unless you actually get to court. Most
> people are happy to try to figure out what happened. If I mail you a
> check and you don't cash it, I say "Gee, must have gotten lost in the
> mail" and I mail another. Rarely happens, tho.

Really weird system, but if you are happy with it, it is OK with me ;)

>> Ours will pay the shop owner the amount that is on the cheque no
>> matter if you have it in your account or not. What happens if you
>> spend more than you have is between you and the bank. The shop owner
>> does not need to care about that.
>
> That's rather different, yes. Our banks aren't quite as customer-focused.

And as you wouldn't trust a bank anyway...