POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random stuff : Re: Random stuff Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 1 May 2009 06:13:58
Message: <49facb66$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> I think you may have some misconceptions about what chaos is.  First
> off, sensitivity to initial conditions is a necessary but *not
> sufficient* condition for chaotic behavior.

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong), a chaotic system must
possess three attributes:

1. Sensitive dependence on initial conditions.
2. Topologically mixing.
3. Its periodic orbits are dense.

I know the system has property #1. I believe it has property #2. I have
no idea WTF #3 even *means*.

> Thirdly, although it's possible I'm wrong here, if you have *any*
> dampening I don't think the system can be counted as chaotic because all
> paths will eventually converge to a point.

According to Wikipedia, the important thing is that the orbits have
"significantly different" behaviour. (And apparently what you define as
"significant" can affect what counts as chaos.)

> Finally, I'm not sure that your system is chaotic.  For inverse-square
> springs it's known as Euler's three-body problem and appears to have a
> (rather complicated) analytic solution.

Well, maybe...