POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: somebody
Date: 30 Apr 2009 19:22:34
Message: <49fa32ba$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> somebody escreveu:
> > "Kevin Wampler" <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote in message

> > eventually
> >> I don't know how consoled I feel by this possibility.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure you both will be dead long before humanity expires one
way
> > or the other, so I fail to see why one could either be consoled or
> > non-consoled.
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure the last man on Earth far off in the future will
> say the same careless thing as you now, but is about to die from a
> terrible tragedy anyway. :P
>
> This argument of "well, that's a problem for our sons and grandsons"
> really bothers me.  We may well have no descendants to handle that kind
> of responsability.

I find it irrational for people to care about realities they are not, and
cannot be, part of. Assume parallel universes, for a moment. Should I care
that in one of those universes, "my" counterpart dies a horrific and painful
death? Well, a human being living on this universe but 500 years from now
(in either direction) is just as, if not more, detached from my reality. I
don't care one way or another.