POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 30 Apr 2009 18:25:32
Message: <49fa255c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> If because of nothing else, it will be because at some point the
> modern civilization will be so destroyed that it will be incapable of
> continuing the destruction of the ecosystem, which will allow the ecosystem
> to slowly start recuperating (during the next few thousands of years or so).

Exactly.  That and the fact that the resource requirements for a
smallish population of humans scraping by is vastly less than that for a
massive global civilization, so even a pretty wrecked environment could
probably support a small civilization of sorts for an indefinite amount
of time (although, as you point out, the environment would certainly
recover in reality).

It's an interesting (and potentially disheartening) thought experiment
to try to think of what the probable steady-state modes for our
civilization might be, assuming that we avoid collapse and assuming
nothing else completely changes the rules (aliens, the singularity, FTL
travel, etc).  I do think that the rather consistently low birth rates
in first world countries give some cause for hope here though.