POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Infinite sequences and probability : Re: Infinite sequences and probability Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite sequences and probability
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Apr 2009 06:22:17
Message: <49f6d8d9$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>         I think it's a cool result - shows that probability theory is at
> least consistent.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find certain areas of mathematics
fascinating, and others utterly boring.

For example, take DSP. You've got impulse responses and convolution.
You've got correlation, the Fourier transform, and related transforms.
You've got Fourier duals, trigonometric identities, IIR filters, the
Laplace transform, the Z-transform, transfer functions, the fast Fourier
transform, filter kernel windows, autocorrelation...

Then you have set theory. The entire theory seems to be about nitpicking
and pointless questions such as "are there more rational than irrational
algebraic numbers?" I mean, like, *who cares*?

...and then I spend 2 hours drawing squares and cubes, and shifting
algebra around to painstakingly derive [a special case of] the binomial
theorum from first principles. The euphoria of finally figuring out the
hidden pattern is topped only by the frustration at discovering that
somebody else already figured this out - several thousand years ago.

I guess some questions are just more interesting than others. Certain
areas of mathematics seem to abound with interesting concepts and
beautiful ideas. And other areas seem to involve only splitting hairs
and irritating technicalities.