POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 18:48:50
Message: <49ee4d52$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Those few legitimate uses do not constitute a need.

I disagree.

> Don't know or care about WoW, but I've never needed torrent,

Good for you.

> and I've downloaded several Linux distros.

Yes? So?

 > P2P has always been about copyright infringement.

Actually, I'm pretty sure bittorrent was specifically developed for
downloading game patches.  And if you go to the more general meaning of
"P2P" rather than "the version of P2P I mean", then no, the majority of P2P
hasn't been about copyright infringement. IM and email are both P2P
applications, for example. I don't think "P2P has always been about
copyright infringement" any more than search has always been about finding
copyrighted information.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)