POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NP-complete : Re: NP-complete Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NP-complete
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:08:10
Message: <49e4a6da$1@news.povray.org>
>> But it's just the implication that this is impossibly difficult that
>> bothered me. How long can it possibly take to try all possible
>> permutations of 10 nodes?
>
> Really, try implementing a brute force algorithm and see for yourself
> how it scales.  Ten nodes may work, but what about twenty?

Ah, I see. So you mean the problem is that *other people* might try to
draw big graphs with it?

> If I remember correctly you wanted to draw trees though?  Edge crossings
> certainly wouldn't be a problem there.

Trees that occasionally have nodes pointing back to their ancesters,
yes. ;-)

Weirdly, GraphViz manages to come up with some *really* strange layouts
- and refuses to obey my hints to lay the graph out the way I actually
want it...