POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NP-complete : Re: NP-complete Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NP-complete
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:03:25
Message: <49e4a5bd$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But it's just the implication that this is impossibly
> difficult that bothered me. How long can it possibly take to try all
> possible permutations of 10 nodes?

Really, try implementing a brute force algorithm and see for yourself
how it scales.  Ten nodes may work, but what about twenty?  This is an
important point since if you only have ten nodes you often don't really
need a graph drawing program to visualize it.  It's when the graph
becomes larger that it becomes really useful to automatically draw a
nice picture of it.

If I remember correctly you wanted to draw trees though?  Edge crossings
certainly wouldn't be a problem there.