POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Apr 2009 21:04:22
Message: <49e3e116$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Business doesn't give a damn about high precision, as long as rounding rules are
> precisely followed.

That too. And you can't follow the rounding rules with floats.  But if you
add up ten dimes, it better come out to a dollar. Whether you do that with
rounding or with decimal arithmetic, it doesn't matter much, but it's much
easier to know it works if you use decimal arithmetic.

One of the mainframes I first worked on has the "Scientific Computing Unit"
(floating point) and the "Business Computing Unit" (decimal arithmetic and
output formatting) as optional coprocessors.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)