POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Apr 2009 21:04:07
Message: <49e3e107$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Science cares about high precision.

And, actually, science usually doesn't care about high precicion for that
matter, either. Usually the accuracy is far less than the precision of a
single float, if you're talking about any sort of control application. Or,
in the words of one embedded control programmer I knew: "If you need more
than six digits of precision and you're not getting feedback to correct
errors, you've already blown up the wrong building."

Of course, there are *some* apps where having unlimited precision is a good
thing (POV-Ray springs to mind), but it's always going to be limited by your
input and output.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)