POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Warp
Date: 13 Apr 2009 13:42:47
Message: <49e37997@news.povray.org>
> >   I think it could perhaps be safely assumed they use Oracle?

> It's IBM mainframe DB2. Or was, 15 years ago. I don't imagine they changed
> that, tho.

  From the wikipedia page I get the impression that Oracle and IBM DB2 are
approximately the only two RDBMS systems which scale up well to the hundreds
of terabytes of data.

  I wonder how eg. MySQL or PostgreSQL would handle such vast amounts of
data. Would they handle them ok, just maybe a bit slower, would they be
significantly less efficient, or would they simply fail? Or is it a question
of them not having such extensive support for the hardware required to
handle that amount of data efficiently?

--
                                                          - Warp