POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 11 Apr 2009 15:43:19
Message: <49e0f2d7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> The FORTRAN 90 looks pretty straightforward. Fortran IV was the last
> FORTRAN I actually did any serious work in, and that looks pretty
> straightforward, if you understand how printf() works in Fortran.

	Yet it seems almost all Fortran code out there is still in 77, and is
still written in 77.

	I don't know Fortran well - only coded it once. Had to modify someone's
code to add some numerical algorithm. So am not an expert. However, a
friend of mine who knows it much better, and is comfortable with it
(albeit while disliking it) told me the reason almost all (scientific)
Fortran code is still written in 77 is that 90 onwards performed poorly.

--
186,000 miles/sec: Not just a good idea, it's the LAW.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl