POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Warp
Date: 11 Apr 2009 15:37:29
Message: <49e0f179@news.povray.org>
> Put it this way, tho. If you knew neither (say) C nor COBOL (to pick
> languages vaguely in the same timeframe), which would be easier to read? If
> you didn't know how to program at all, what would be easy to ready? That was
> one of the design goals for COBOL.

  I don't know if it's just that I have been exposed way too much to the
C family of languages (obviously C and C++, but also some PHP and Perl,
and to an extent the POV-Ray SDL) and to shell-scripting type of languages,
but it just feels like when a language like COBOL explicitly states out
with full words what you want to do, rather ironically, it seems to make
the code more obfuscated rather than easier to understand.

  Maybe it's the lack of delimiters. It's difficult to see where logical
code blocks begin and end when there are no visually distinguishing delimiter
symbols. Not even indentation to make them stand out (such as eg. in Python).

  Probably a question of getting accustomed to the syntax.

--
                                                          - Warp