POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How True : Re: How True Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How True
From: Warp
Date: 11 Apr 2009 02:17:45
Message: <49e03608@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> On 4/10/2009 9:19 AM, Darren New wrote:
> > Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> >> I'm one of the few people I've met who liked the first a lot more.
> >
> > I liked Alien better than Aliens, but they were all good.

> I disagree.  Alien and Aliens were both excellent (and which is better
> depends on what mood I'm in), but the other two were definitely NOT good.

  I admire Alien because it was made in 1979, yet looks better than many
SFX movies made 20 years later. Its design and special effects put many
other "big" scifi movies of the era to shame (very especially the first
Star Wars movie).

  The 1980's was the era where movie-making technology (very especially
puppeteering) was advancing in really giant leaps, so Aliens, made in 1986,
had a huge advantage over the first movie from the technology point of view.
Regardless, it's also a very good achievement of the era where CGI had yet
not spoiled movie-making.

  If you look Alien 3 (the original, not the director's cut) today, you would
think they used CGI for the alien. Surprisingly, it's 100% puppeteering.
I find it marvelous how they succeeded in making it so mobile, agile and
versatile with just puppeteering. It really doesn't need to be ashamed
against later CGI-ridden movies. I admire it for that.

  (Of course the director's cut, made years later, was ruined by them adding
CGI scenes.)

--
                                                          - Warp