POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How True : Re: How True Server Time
29 Sep 2024 13:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How True
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Apr 2009 06:05:41
Message: <49ddc875@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> Reloaded had some awesome action scenes that I like a lot. I only saw
> Revolutions once, but I don't remember much that I like from it (I'm sure
> some of the action scenes were good).
>
> However, the first movie had some things that were really lacking from the
> other two: a cast of really likable characters (the new pilot guy sucked
> compared to the original, the real-world bad guy was straight out of a
> saturday morning cartoon, and that kid who drooled over Neo was just
> obnoxious), stunning revelations about the story and the universe, and
> *reasons* for the fights. (The entire "burly brawl" scene, for example, has
> no point - Neo just leaves in the end. Also the fight with the guy who
> brings him to the Oracle is poorly justified.) Oh, and the possibility that
> Neo could lose a fight or not be the one, driven home by the death of other
> characters (that you actually cared about).
>
> Is it fair to mention that the first had revolutionary special effects, and
> the other two didn't bring that much to the table? The "burly brawl" scene
> in particular had very fake looking CG people.
>
> Reloaded was also confusing (much more than the first, to the point where I
> still can't figure some of it out), lacking in the simplicity of the first
> one. Plus it had some really cheesy moments like the sex/dance scene,
> anything involving that annoying kid, and the predictable cliffhanger
> ending.
>
> Revelations was again lacking in simplicity, trying to add too many elements
> to the world; for instance, the train station at the beginning was just
> weird and didn't seem to link to the rest of the movie. Again, I remember
> the ending being *painfully* cheesy.
>
> I liked some parts of each, but as a whole neither of them were thoroughly
> enjoyable like the original.

I basically agree with almost everything you just said. (But you said it
way better than me.) The actual fight scenes are even more impressive
than the original - it's just that there didn't seem to be any *point*
to them. I watched the whole of the second movie, and at the end I'm
like, "so what do I know now that I didn't know before?" Nothing,
really. And yeah, the pilot and the various other characters were boring.

It's ironic really. I thought I'd find the first movie really boring -
but I didn't. I thought I'd really enjoy the sequals - but I didn't.
Funny old world, eh?