POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Documentation Review? : Re: Documentation Review? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documentation Review?
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 18 Mar 2009 08:04:42
Message: <49c0e35a$1@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> I tried to present a uniform style of coding in the
> docs but didn't really succeed.

Well I think you got closer than you're giving yourself credit for ....

> There is no 'standard' coding style for POV-Ray, so in that regard Warp
> is right, yet IMO the style in the docs should be consistent (as
> consistent as possible).

I tend to have a fairly loose style if the code is just for my consumption,
but when it's for other eye's to disect that's another story.
I think that the most important aspect of code readability is being able to
easily spot major code blocks, loops or conditional blocks. Stuff like the
curley braces being on the same line as the keyword (or on the next line)
are being a bit too picky. I agree that warp and clipka made some good
points as they touched on those issues.

I was at a job interview last week and we had a discussion about some of
these very points, and consistency seemed to be the most talked about issue
.... we were talking about user interfaces, but I see parallel's in
documentation as well.

> ingo (who still hasn't looked at your efforts on the wiki and is
> ashamed)

haha .... I was feeling like no one cared until I realized that there seems
to be an awful lot of distractions lately .... trying to figure out what all
the politicians and bankers have in store for us next can be pretty
unsettling.

So far I've enjoyed the project, and I'm looking forward to the next part
(extracting the doc sets) and upping my skills as I dig into the PHP end of
things.

I DO appreciate everyone's comments!

Jim