POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... : Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Mar 2009 13:43:46
Message: <49b01d62$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:51:47 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Chambers wrote:
>> ...is that it tells me it's going to ask my permission for something
>> before it asks my permission.
>
> But this is part of the security bit. If it doesn't tell you it's going
> to ask permission first, then you can't tell someone "only say it's OK
> if it already asked you and you agree with what it's asking."

Perhaps, but I do agree with Chambers on this one - how many times have
we seen:

1.  Click on "Exit"
2.  "Are you sure?"
3.  Yes
4.  "You're going to be exiting.  Are you sure that you really want to do
this?"
5.  Yes
6.  "We're going to ask you one more time.  Really sure you want to do
this?"
7.  YES!
8.  "Sorry, your request can't be processed at this time."

Or some variant thereof.  I can think of situations where asking multiple
times does make sense, like in our practical exams - there's an "End
Exam" button, but we verify that the user meant to end the exam because
once they end, they can't get back in.

Jim