POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: andrel
Date: 30 Apr 2009 11:06:44
Message: <49F9BE83.4050009@hotmail.com>
On 30-4-2009 16:37, scott wrote:
>>  Then enter the most powerful natural disaster of them all: Humans.
>>
>>  Thanks to humans the coecalanth is critically endangered
>
> Why do you think it is because of humans?

An educated guess?

>  Populations of species go up
> and down pretty violently even without human involvement:
>
> http://www.geo.arizona.edu/Antevs/nats104/00lect21lynxhare.gif

Such large fluctuations can happen if there is just (effectively) one
food source that determines survival of the hunter (or vice versa). If
there are many independent prey animals the curves do not fluctuate as much.

> Does a similar graph for coecalanth exist?

I don't know exactly what the coelacanth eats of what eats it but I
guess that is not very likely.

A possibly more relevant criticism might be that for a species where we
don't really know in what habitat it lives it is very hard to estimate
how many there are and if the number are declining. BTW I can not find
an estimate for the current population with a superficial google search.