POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Documentation Migration : Re: Documentation Migration Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:45:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documentation Migration
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jan 2009 00:49:46
Message: <497808fa@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:48:12 -0800, Eddie wrote:

> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>> [...]
>> Eddie .... if you have PHP experience maybe work on the wiki extensions
>> might start sooner. If not it's going to have to wait until I'm up to
>> speed.
>
> Jim, I don't know PHP but I suspect you're approaching this the wrong
> way.
>
> You don't need to create PHP scripts, you simply need to create one or
> more XML documents with the text of the pages in the WIKI text format.
>
> You can download a few pages to see what the format looks like:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Special:Export
>
> Once they're ready you can e-mail them to an admin like Chris who can
> import them and the pages defined in the XML file(s) will get created.
>
> Let me know if you need more detail.

The challenge isn't just exporting to a format to import to Wiki (what
you suggest is where I started on it myself), but also to export
modifications/updates put in the Wiki back into the povdoc format.  If
you strip the povdoc tags from the file (which seemed to me to be
necessary to use the xml format), then you can't easily re-insert them
when you dump the pages again.

That's why a plugin seems like a better approach.  If the wiki preserves
those formatting tags, then they can be re-exported.  The tags themselves
are used for things like linking sections to the TOC and the index.

Jim