POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes! : Re: "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes! Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:01:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes!
From: Shay
Date: 31 Oct 2008 18:54:51
Message: <490b8cbb$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:27:45 -0400, gregjohn wrote:

> But I think that the intentionally stylized backgrounds of say, Ice Age,
> generate more positive emotion than attempts at exhaustive realism which get
> a grade of "C".

There you have it. It's not the degree of realism; It's the "C" grade in
"Meeting Audience Expectations". Take any lauded Pixar animated movie and
replace the characters with Daffy Duck - you've gone straight from
brilliantly stylized animation to a shitty-looking Daffy Duck.

An artist can of course introduce his own visual style, even if that style
superficially represents a 3rd-rate copy of something else, but this
introduction must be accompanied by a concept strong enough to engender
fresh expectations.

 -Shay