POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes! : Re: "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes! Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:57:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Uncanny Valley" in landscapes!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Aug 2008 06:11:27
Message: <48a404cf$1@news.povray.org>
Interesting notion.

I am currently reading Darwin's Daugther. There is a description of how
people reacted in the 1830's to their confrontation with the first living
chimps and orangs at the London Zoo. Same reaction: repulsion, because they
were so unconfortably like humans.

I think like you that - and within certain limits - the same reaction can be
expected with hyperrealistic stills or animations. For instance, the
hyperrealistic and photorealistic periods in painting a couple of decennia
ago produced some interesting works, but many - in my view - did not add
anything new or thrilling, except for a technical achievement.. Works of art
should grip you and that is not only through technical achievement,
especially if technical achievement becomes the principal issue of the work.

So, it boils down for me to a balance to be found each and every time
between techniques and artistic qualities, whatever those may be, by the
way. But that is a totally different discussion.

Thomas