POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Proximity and subsurface scattering macros + examples : Re: Proximity and subsurface scattering macros + examples Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:40:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity and subsurface scattering macros + examples
From: stbenge
Date: 10 Aug 2008 17:12:53
Message: <489f59d5@news.povray.org>
I forgot to mention that you may get strange artifacts if the vector
right after the min/max vectors is too high. This is especially true for
curved surfaces. You will have to fiddle with it to achieve a desirable
result. The value right after than should be set to 2 or more. Higher
values give more falloff, and tend to reduce artifacts.

The patterns are 3d, so they can be used for media and isosurface
functions, although these will take a long time to render.

Also, I did not make a fastSSS3 macro to behave like fastProx3. You can
probably make one yourself by looking at the code.

That is all :)

edit:
One last thing. You can transform the object after applying a pattern to
it, but don't expect this to work very well with the SSS pattern.

For SSS you should apply your transforms *first*, and then apply the
pattern to the object and adjust the bounding box accordingly.

The proximity patterned object can be transformed anytime, as it does
not take a light position into account.

Sam