POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wiki.povray.org : Re: wiki.povray.org Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:04:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wiki.povray.org
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Nov 2007 12:36:07
Message: <474ef887$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 04:47:12 -0500, zeroin23 wrote:

> you know right, by login, my opportunity cost have just increased thus
> resulting in me contributing less right? And if anyone were to spam
> here, we could always revert back right to pre-spam? is it really
> justified? if a spammer wants to, he can always automate and create
> dummy accounts to spam.

Most of the spam in Wikis is done using bots that don't login - and
there's a captcha component to creating an account, making it difficult
(if not impossible) to automate.

That's low-hanging fruit, and easy to deal with.

Counter that with the efforts of a volunteer team (remember that none of
us get paid to do this), going and reverting massive quantities of
automated spam posted to the wiki is something that nobody really has
time for.

Creating a login is easy if you're a human.  Saving the user ID and
password is easy if you use your browser to save that info.  It's not a
hardship, and the payoff is significant compared to the administrative
overhead of monitoring every change to see if it's spam.

Of course if you don't want to contribute, then don't - we'll miss the
contribution, but the login requirement is not going to go away - it was
a design specification for this implementation intended specifically to
deal with the pervasive spamming problem so common on totally open Wikis.

Unless, of course, you're willing to pay me $80K a year to revert spammed
posts so you can post anonymously, I'd be happy to give up my day job
(well, no, not really - I enjoy my job too much to give it up).

:-)

Jim