POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : _The History of Science_ comments : Re: _The History of Science_ comments Server Time
24 Apr 2024 15:05:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: _The History of Science_ comments
From: Markus Altendorff
Date: 5 Sep 2007 07:06:49
Message: <46de8dc9@news.povray.org>
Hildur K. wrote:

> fair voting system.

Hi,

I guess Steve and Colin are already trying to work something out. Web
applications can be a pain to modify.

I got bitten by the same "voting bug" over at irtc.animations :) i guess
some changes are indeed necessary. We had five entries this round, i
tested voting, and presto: now i'm not even on the ranking page any more
:) because voting on one's own entry isn't possible (which is OK), but
with nobody else having (a chance to have) voted, this means my (0/0/0)
doesn't even get listed anymore except on the "all entries" page...

Two thoughts:

1) either all entrants must complete their voting on all entries for the
points system to work, or none at all - that's where "panel judges"
become necessary. A partial vote obviously puts the entrant voters into
disadvantage.

2) Voting needs a second timeframe (deadline thru deadline + 1 week
sounds reasonable, i guess) so that the line-up doesn't change after
voting has started.

Well, if 2) gets implemented, it shouldn't be a problem to have another
voting period on the last topics by simply tweaking the timeframe's
end-date...

-M