POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : _The History of Science_ comments : _The History of Science_ comments Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:34:13 EDT (-0400)
  _The History of Science_ comments
From: Shay
Date: 1 Sep 2007 13:51:43
Message: <46d9a6af@news.povray.org>
Wanted to wait until all of the entries were in to comment. Looks like
commenting and voting shuts down at the end of the round, so I guess I
missed my chance to comment "the right way." Here they are:

"The Time Machine" by Rick:
More _The Science of History_. A nice but underdeveloped take on the
subject. I hope turned-around and punny interpretations of the topic
remain a part of the RTC. Given the preponderance of religious items in
the scene, the presence of the "Mona Lisa" begins to suggest an "art as
religion" angle, but this is inadequately reinforced and likely just a
product of a randomish web search for items.

"SotSoG" by ThomdeG:
Now this is evenness in tone. Along with those discussed in your image
description, there exists the concept that, as we look outwards to the
far reaches of space and inwards to the building blocks of matter, our
world is shrinking and growing at the same time. The Earth below,
appearing both primordial and modern-idyllic at the same time,
appropriately reveals nothing - the same cannot be said for the pants.

"X-ray" by JimCharter:
Definitely titillating. With the media-filled-models method you used,
this X-ray is as much simulated as imitated. I also notice how well the
faked background noise plays the same role as Miro's "infinite soup" (if
you remember that conversation). An extremely rare example in this
community of a concept that is perfectly realized - there are no
apparent concessions to the medium or subject.

"Revolution" by Andrey_K:
An excellent metaphor. The stacked boxes aesthetic is worn out, but
cliches are cliches for a reason, and this particular cliche owes its
popularity to more than just ease of creation. This geometry could work
as-is with better lighting.

"Fundamental Re-Creation" by milco2006:
Your modeling and texturing skills are improving. This has a retro
sci-fi look to it which makes the simple CG techniques work pretty well.

"Evolution" by Seb_3D:
An ambitious concept. What I found most interesting is how the older
parts of the car have degraded. The car as a whole is falling apart at
the same time it is evolving.

"Science at Work" by steve:
Fire; dripping, boiling, and rippling liquids; foam; smoke - typical of
your ambition. These effects are achieved with varying degrees of
realism, but there's something to be said for your persistent refusal to
be limited to what is "doable" in POV-Ray.

"Pool of Science" by lequenne:
Rewriting your macro to build hallways instead of shelves would add a
lot more books without altering your composition. The lack of reflection
in the literal pool is in my opinion a missed opportunity to expand the
metaphor.

"Black Death" by Michael_H:
No posies? Don't know if damask screams Elizabethan to me, but I guess
it is period correct. I like the picture, but more obvious clues would
help those of us who do not possess you knowledge of the subject.