POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Free chain mail texture : Re: Free chain mail texture Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free chain mail texture
From: Markus Altendorff
Date: 27 Jul 2007 03:42:27
Message: <46a9a1e3@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>    Well, it is.  :)

That's nice :)

>> http://wip.anthrosphinx.de/episode010/20070727_000401_snap.jpg
>
>    Oooo, she's a mean-lookin' Ladysphinx!

Within the story context, no. The "Sphinx" species is the other one.
I guess i need to draw some "stat sheets" like in RPGs someday to
clarify that muddled universe i've been building over the last decade.
:) Maybe even get that old website of mine working again...

As for mean-lookin', try this :)
http://wip.anthrosphinx.de/episode010/20070723_001904_snap_1143.jpg
(found the picture of a growling cat online, and noticed the definite
lack of teeth in my old design - didn't know that there are at least
three canines on either side, two in the uppper, one in the lower jaw)
I've since switched off the reflection attribute that never mattered
much in the dark spaceship locations but broke in "sky dome"
environments and instead added a Fresnel shader in the luminance
component to make the edges "glow" a bit. No sample of that yet. Saves
some render time, too, because oversampling and the to/fro running rays
caused the render to really slow down there.

Same thing (the fresnel effect) was added to the main skin texture,
providing a 20% illuminated edge at all times, no matter the lighting:
http://wip.anthrosphinx.de/episode010/20070726_221333_snap_80013.jpg
Improves shadow contour visibility in the dark and doesn't get in the
way in the light, without render hogs like ambient occlusion.

 > I like that bling too...

Well, needed some polygon surfaces to hang the chain mail on, and
extending the cloth sim around the neck was too unpredictable with
motion (Janet Jackson, anyone? ;) I already messed up the connection of
cloth<->anchors on the left side - there's a gap, but if i set the
"attachment distance" any smaller, the cloth simulation goes "boink"...
:( and once a cloth sim is attached to an object, you can't tweak the
original poly points without needing to DELETE the sim container and
re-configure a new one. Or i just can't find the right buttons in
Cinema. The printed manual has been scrapped in favour of a few thousand
HTML pages and "inline help". Gah.

>      The teeth work for me.

I'm not going to respond to that line, no way ;)

>> Oh, regarding TC-RTC website: is it intentional that members can
>> (pre-)view uploaded entries during the timeframe?
>
>     For the life of me, I can't remember how the IRTC did it, (it's been so
> long), but for now, I don't see any harm in it, unless others can point out
> possible pitfalls?

The IRTC had the upload open, but had the files set to "no access" until
the voting started. Possibly to avoid giving ideas away early, so we
don't end up with lots of similar pictures because someone thought
"great idea, but i can one-up the execution of XYZ's picture".

Just a thought. Not that i'd suspect that to happen often, or at all. At
least it shouldn't, due to things like artistic integrity and stuff...

-M