POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Poseray: what controls the specular size? : Re: Poseray: what controls the specular size? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:09:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poseray: what controls the specular size?
From: FlyerX
Date: 20 Jul 2007 22:51:13
Message: <46a174a1$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas,

This shows one of the main drawbacks of all 3D applications. Although
geometry made up of polygons transfers perfectly most of the time. There
is no consistent way of defining materials. Even if the material
properties are named the same and use the same format they are usually
interpreted differently.

Some times this occurs because of of closed format specifications and
other times because developers do not adhere to the published
specifications for the format used. Maybe some time in the future there
will be a unified format like PDF is for print work today. This does not
even cover other topics like animation, lighting and commercialization
which complicates the creation of an unified 3D format more difficult.

In fact the current PDF standard now includes full 3D objects now so
maybe there is a chance of this happening.

FlyerX