POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Combining Materials in Poser : Re: Combining Materials in Poser Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Combining Materials in Poser
From: St
Date: 27 Jun 2007 04:33:10
Message: <468220c6$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote in message
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>      Stephen, in Wings, there's a 'combine' command that will do this.
>>
>>       I'm not sure if there is a scaling problem with 3DS files in Wings,
>> but I would try converting to OBJ if there is, (seems to keep scale ok).

> Thanks Steve, I couldn't find a "combine" command

   You have three separate models to make your skirt, so, import all three
into Wings, (if all the geometry is correct, the models should all align
correctly), select all three after clicking the far right pyramid,
right-click, and about half way down the list is 'combine'. This will
combine all three into one model. You can then either UV map the model, or
parts of the model, (or just export as is) and then finish your textures in
'myskirt_pov_mat.inc'.

   Don't forget to comment out:

  }
   //uv_mapping
  }

  right at the end of 'myskirt_pov.inc'.

but in materials I was
> able to "assign" all the faces I wanted, to one material, and then delete
> the others. I'm a bit worried because everyone says that there is a steep
> learning curve with Wings.

  No, quite the opposite - it's got an easy learning curve.

I thought that the little I did was quite
> intuitive. In other words I don't know exactly what I did after pressing
> every button in sight :-)
> There is still a problem importing back into Poser so I must be doing
> something wrong either exporting from or importing to Poser.

    Hmm, I know what you mean, when I import a figure from Poser into Wings,
it's always too small, so I combine every object and simply scale up to what
I want. When I import the same model back into Poser, it's way too large.
I've noticed in Poser that there is a 'percent' option for importing and
exporting, I haven't experimented with this yet, but I wonder if this should
be used, and if so, what would the inputs be?

    Anyway, just yell if you need to know anything else about Wings.  :)

      ~Steve~