POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Looking to the future : Re: Looking to the future Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:09:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking to the future
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 14 Mar 2007 21:37:45
Message: <45f8b179@news.povray.org>
I just saw this post.

I had an idea of spicing up the topics, the old system of which I often
found deflating. When I felt I was going to be making a (nonetheless
LAME-O) space epic when others were going to be making demos of special
effects in photorealism, I was uninspired.

http://base.google.com/base/a/1047972/D17372762218891870809

I took the 5800 book titles available at Project Gutenberg and took out the
800-odd that I thought would be really fun to animate to-- things like
Jules Verne, Poe, Edgar Rice Burroughs, some Shakespeare, some Twain, some
Doyle.  For example if the title were "Queen of Mars" you wouldn't
necessarily have to go study that particular text in order to be on-topic,
but the title itself just makes for all kinds of coolness.

Folks could review the list to see if any were completely objectionable and
then if we still have say >>>300 items we could pick from those on a random
basis.

I was half-thinking starting "my own" contest on youtube, but that may or
may not be a good idea. ;-)