POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-files greyed out : Re: POV-files greyed out Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-files greyed out
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Oct 2006 14:50:48
Message: <4547a918$1@news.povray.org>
FurBall wrote:
>> Ah, that would explain it. likely somewhere along the way the fact that they
>> are text files gets lost, and without knowing the extension on the Mac side
>> they when you unpack or just download them, they get marked as data. One way
>> to go is to zip them, download the zip and then unpack the unzip file via
>> the command line (using Terminal) or with StuffIt Expander. That way they
>> should survive. The command line unzip does not set any file types, and
>> StuffIt Expander can currently detect most text files. So either will work.
>>
>>     Thorsten
>
> I tried what you suggested.
> This works a little better!
> POVRay still has the files greyed out, BUT double-clicking them from Finder
> will open them in POVRay!!
> So, I guess I will be opening them from Finder for the next couple of
> months.

Note that the reason they are greyed out is has nothing to do with their
file extension: If you can open files by drag and drop from the Finder, you
can just as well open them in the file open dialog. All you have to do is
select "All Documents" as previously outlined. What makes POV-Ray decide
that it can handle a file is independent of that of the file selection
dialog (which is supplied by the operating system and operates under some
annoying constraints)!

In fact, the method used to pass a file selected in the dialog to POV-Ray to
open it is identical to the method the Finder users to tell POV-Ray to open
it - both use Apple Events, aka Apple Scripts "open" event you can also
create in the Apple Script editor.

	Thorsten